Relationships matter in business and in life. They affect our success and happiness. So it’s worth considering the impression we make, and consciously working on improving this. The following thoughts might be useful here:
1. Smile: People who smile are viewed as being warmer and friendlier individuals.
2. Be easy to impress, or to make laugh and smile: Others also worry about how people see them. If they think that they’re succeeding, then they’ll like you even more.
3. Show interest and liking through your use of body language: Face and look them in the eye when you’re talking to them, and show them you are friendly through your open body stance (uncrossed arms and legs etc.)
4. Remember the power of transfer traits: Basically, that means that if you say nice things about other people, they assume you’ll say nice things about them, too … Or if you criticise others, then they assume you’ll criticise them, too.
5. Poke fun at yourself: It makes you seem more relaxed and approachable.
6. Remember the power of emotional contagion: That means that others tend to pick up the emotions we project. So, if you seem laid back, warm, happy and calm then those you are with will start to feel the same way, too.
7. Remember the name and a few basic facts about the person you are talking to: Such as their job, college major, favourite hobby, favourite food, places they have been to or awards they have received.