This is what I want you to know … 1. You deserve to be loved and prized in the same way as the most loved and prized person in this world, is loved and prized. This is 100% true. 2. It is a lie that you are inferior and inadequate, or deserve to be mistreated, […]This is What I Want you to Know … — Don’t Lose Hope
Questions for Knowing Yourself Better
1. If you could change one aspect of your life or personality, what would it be?
2. Are you ‘your own person’ or are you defined, and pushed around, by others?
3. Is there any area of your life where you feel out of control?
4. Do you feel more comfortable in an organised or chaotic environment?
5. How comfortable are you with spontaneous ideas, or a last minute change in plans?
6. Do you feel renewed by being around others, or is it crucial for you to have time on your own?
7. Are you motivated, or undermined, by competition?
8. Do you work well under pressure, or do you tend to fall apart?
9. Are you better at praising and complimenting others, or at consciously affirming and building yourself up?
10. Are you a morning or an evening person?
11. Do you persevere, or do you give up easily?
12. Do you like to go with the flow, or take control of your own life?
13. Are you more of a thinker or a feeler?
14. What are your passions and goals?
15. What would your perfect day look like?
Self -awareness is having an accurate picture of how you tend to think, feel, act and react. It’s knowing what your strengths and weaknesses are, and knowing exactly what you want from your life. Also, it’s assessing how well you relate and interact with people you encounter in your daily life. This is crucial if you want to succeed.
The questions below can help to deepen your self-understanding and self-awareness.
1. Would you rate yourself as happy or unhappy? What has the greatest impact on your happiness?
2. Are there any areas of your life where you feel you are out of control?
3. Do you prefer a tidy, organised environment or a chaotic, disorganised environment?
4. Are you more attracted to something if you know it is forbidden?
5. Are you motivated, or demotivated, by competition?
6. Are you a leader or a follower?
7. Do you find it easier to do things for others than to do things or yourself?
8. Do you have clear boundaries or do people walk all over you?
9. Are you a morning or a night person?
10. Does being around people energise you or wear you out?
11. Do you prefer to be in the spotlight or the background?
12. If you could change one thing in your life, what would that one thing be?
Who do I Think I Am? — Don’t Lose Hope
“If I am not good to myself, how can I expect anyone else to be good to me?“ – Maya Angelou This is a good, and a thought-provoking, question! I wonder how good we really are to ourselves. Here are some journal prompts to help you think this through … 1. Without thinking too deeply […]Who do I Think I Am? — Don’t Lose Hope
Do it for You — Don’t Lose Hope
“Do it for you.” That’s all I’m going to say. Not to please other people. Not to be acceptable to other people. Not because other people can’t handle you as you are. Or can’t handle the truth of what you’ve been through. Or can’t deal with the effects of your trauma. These are terrible reasons […]Do it for You — Don’t Lose Hope
The Self-Love Tree — Don’t Lose Hope
“It might be hard to love yourself sometimes, but it is harder to not love yourself.” The author Christine Arylo says self-love is a tree. Self-worth is the trunk, and the life-giving branches are associated with the following qualities. – Self-awareness and self-honesty – Self-acceptance – Self-care – Self-compassion and self-forgiveness – Self-trust – Self-esteem […]The Self-Love Tree — Don’t Lose Hope
Quote of the Day — Don’t Lose Hope
“When a flower doesn’t bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower.” – Alexander Den Heijer How do feel about your ability to grow, and bloom, in your current environment? What would enable you to find your best self? What would enable you to be your best self? How would you […]Quote of the Day — Don’t Lose Hope
Quote of the Day — Don’t Lose Hope
“To the ones who still believe in dreams: Chase them. Chase them until you’re out of breath. Then, keep running.” Unknown What do you dream of being free of one day? What do you dream of leaving behind? What do you dream of achieving in your life? Who do you dream of becoming, over time? […]Quote of the Day — Don’t Lose Hope
You Beautiful Thing! — Don’t Lose Hope
“She is a beautiful piece of broken pottery put back together by her own hands. A critical world judges her cracks while missing the beauty of how she made herself whole again.” -J.M. Storm It’s easy to judge when we don’t know the full story, or when putting others down meets a need in our […]You Beautiful Thing! — Don’t Lose Hope
How to be Yourself
1. First, and most important, see yourself as a valuable, likeable and worthwhile person – someone who is worth knowing and loving.
2. Recognise that your thoughts, ideas, views and beliefs are as important as anybody else’s. You are your own person. You are not just a clone of somebody else. What you think is worth hearing – and you don’t have to apologise or change your views in order to please, or be acceptable to, others.
3. Stay away from people who are trying to change you, or who want you to think and act as they do. Don’t allow yourself and your personality to be swamped or dominated by others.
4. Surround with people who encourage you to be yourself, and who bring out the best in you.
5. Resist the urge to emulate or copy people you admire. At the end of the day each of us is unique. The world is a richer place by you expressing who you are in your own way.
6. Don’t compare yourself with others. We each have different experiences, and are evolving in our own way, at our own pace. There’s no one formula or recipe for becoming or being. Trust your intuition, and follow your own path.