Self -awareness is having an accurate picture of how you tend to think, feel, act and react. It’s knowing what your strengths and weaknesses are, and knowing exactly what you want from your life. Also, it’s assessing how well you relate and interact with people you encounter in your daily life. This is crucial if you want to succeed.
The questions below can help to deepen your self-understanding and self-awareness.
1. Would you rate yourself as happy or unhappy? What has the greatest impact on your happiness?
2. Are there any areas of your life where you feel you are out of control?
3. Do you prefer a tidy, organised environment or a chaotic, disorganised environment?
4. Are you more attracted to something if you know it is forbidden?
5. Are you motivated, or demotivated, by competition?
6. Are you a leader or a follower?
7. Do you find it easier to do things for others than to do things or yourself?
8. Do you have clear boundaries or do people walk all over you?
9. Are you a morning or a night person?
10. Does being around people energise you or wear you out?
11. Do you prefer to be in the spotlight or the background?
12. If you could change one thing in your life, what would that one thing be?
“If I am not good to myself, how can I expect anyone else to be good to me?“ – Maya Angelou This is a good, and a thought-provoking, question! I wonder how good we really are to ourselves. Here are some journal prompts to help you think this through … 1. Without thinking too deeply […]
“Do it for you.” That’s all I’m going to say. Not to please other people. Not to be acceptable to other people. Not because other people can’t handle you as you are. Or can’t handle the truth of what you’ve been through. Or can’t deal with the effects of your trauma. These are terrible reasons […]
“It might be hard to love yourself sometimes, but it is harder to not love yourself.” The author Christine Arylo says self-love is a tree. Self-worth is the trunk, and the life-giving branches are associated with the following qualities. – Self-awareness and self-honesty – Self-acceptance – Self-care – Self-compassion and self-forgiveness – Self-trust – Self-esteem […]
“When a flower doesn’t bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower.” – Alexander Den Heijer How do feel about your ability to grow, and bloom, in your current environment? What would enable you to find your best self? What would enable you to be your best self? How would you […]
“To the ones who still believe in dreams: Chase them. Chase them until you’re out of breath. Then, keep running.” Unknown What do you dream of being free of one day? What do you dream of leaving behind? What do you dream of achieving in your life? Who do you dream of becoming, over time? […]
“She is a beautiful piece of broken pottery put back together by her own hands. A critical world judges her cracks while missing the beauty of how she made herself whole again.” -J.M. Storm It’s easy to judge when we don’t know the full story, or when putting others down meets a need in our […]
1. First, and most important, see yourself as a valuable, likeable and worthwhile person – someone who is worth knowing and loving.
2. Recognise that your thoughts, ideas, views and beliefs are as important as anybody else’s. You are your own person. You are not just a clone of somebody else. What you think is worth hearing – and you don’t have to apologise or change your views in order to please, or be acceptable to, others.
3. Stay away from people who are trying to change you, or who want you to think and act as they do. Don’t allow yourself and your personality to be swamped or dominated by others.
4. Surround with people who encourage you to be yourself, and who bring out the best in you.
5. Resist the urge to emulate or copy people you admire. At the end of the day each of us is unique. The world is a richer place by you expressing who you are in your own way.
6. Don’t compare yourself with others. We each have different experiences, and are evolving in our own way, at our own pace. There’s no one formula or recipe for becoming or being. Trust your intuition, and follow your own path.
“No one has the right to judge you, because no one really knows what you’ve been through. They didn’t feel what you felt in your heart.” Keep these words in mind the next time you feel that someone has some view, or opinion about you. – No one has the right to judge you. Absolutely […]